IELTS Letter, topic: writing to apply for a part-time job

This is a model response to a Writing Task 1 topic from High Scorer’s Choice IELTS Practice Tests book series (reprinted with permission). This answer is close to IELTS Band 9.

Set 1 General Training book, Practice Test 1

Writing Task 1

You should spend about 20 minutes on this task.

You recently noticed a local restaurant that was offering a part-time job.

Write a letter to the restaurant’s manager. In your letter,

– explain that you would like to apply for the job
– give some details of any relevant experience that you have
– specify the days and times that would suit you

You should write at least 150 words.

You do NOT need to write any addresses. Begin your letter as follows:

Dear Sir / Madam,

Sample Band 9 Letter

Dear Sir / Madam,

I am writing to you to express my interest in your job advertisement for a chef that I saw posted on the local village board. As I have currently moved to Brenton as a qualified chef, I would therefore like to apply for this position.

I noticed from the job description that you require someone who can both cook in a creative and healthy way, and who can communicate with and manage staff in an effective manner. My previous job was as an assistant chef at Brew’s restaurant in London, where I was responsible for preparing all the dishes on the restaurant’s menu and coming up with inventive recipes to present to the head chef. I am also personally very interested in healthy living and this is always reflected in how I cook. I was also responsible at Brew’s for managing the cleaning and serving staff at the restaurant, in which capacity I found I was able to build good working relationships with all the staff in my responsibility.

I noticed that this is a part-time job. My preferred days for working would be Monday, Wednesday and Friday afternoons and evenings. I would be available until late at night on those days and I would also be able to work two Saturdays of each month.

I look forward to hearing from you soon. Please let me know if you require any further information.

Yours sincerely,

Marisa Thompson

Go here for more IELTS Band 9 Letters

6 thoughts on “IELTS Letter, topic: writing to apply for a part-time job”

1. Sports

Sports are physical activities that involve organized competition between individuals or teams. They are usually played for entertainment, exercise, and competition purposes. There are a wide variety of sports that are played around the world, including team sports such as soccer, basketball, and volleyball, as well as individual sports like running, swimming, and tennis.

Sports can provide numerous benefits to individuals who participate in them. These benefits can include improved physical fitness, increased social interaction, enhanced mental health, and the development of valuable life skills such as teamwork, communication, and sportsmanship.

Professional sports also have a significant impact on the economy, generating billions of dollars in revenue and creating numerous jobs. Sports fans around the world are passionate about their favorite teams and athletes, and many follow their favorite sports closely through television, online streaming, and attending live events.

However, sports can also have negative aspects, such as the risk of injury, the pressure to win at all costs, and the potential for performance-enhancing drug use. It is important for athletes, coaches, and sports organizations to prioritize the health and well-being of participants while promoting fair competition and ethical behavior.