Our kind friend S. recently took IELTS in the USA and remembered the following questions:
Writing task 1 (a report)
The charts below show the average hours worked last year by full time and part time employees in 3 countries.
Summarise the information by selecting and reporting the main features, and make comparisons where relevant.
* Note: these aren’t the actual charts given in the test, they were recreated for demonstration purposes.
Writing task 2 (an essay)
Even though experts believe that walking is a great way to improve one’s health, very few people walk nowadays. Why aren’t people walking? What can be done to encourage them to walk more?
Part 1 (Interview)
– What is your full name?
– Where are you from?
– Did you learn geography as a child?
– Would you visit a country just because of its geographical location?
– Did you solve puzzles as a child?
– What kind, word or number puzzles?
– Do you think elderly people should be encouraged to solve puzzles?
– Do you solve number puzzles while commuting?
Part 2 (Cue Card)
Describe a photo you took that you are proud of. You should say
– When you took it
– Why you took it
– What is on the photo
– And explain why you are proud of this photo.
Part 3 (Discussion)
– Do you take selfies? Why?
– Is it a good way to capture some magical moments?
– Why do people take photos?
– Do you think old photos help us learn about history?
– Do you think that pictures from ancient time periods would be helpful enough to learn about the past?
– What would be more helpful, pictures or written eyewitness accounts, and why?