IELTS Letter, topic: An explanation for the boss

You successfully passed a job interview. You are expected to start on November 15, but you will not be available on that date. Task: Write a letter to your new boss, explaining your situation, expressing your concern and suggesting a solution.

Dear Sir/Madam,

Leonardo Gomes and I have recently passed a job interview for the Software Engineer position at the Software Infrastructure group. I was expected to start on November 15, as agreed, and am writing because, unfortunately, I will not be able to present myself on that date.

During the interview I estimated fifteen days as the amount of time needed for me to finish my activities at my current job and start at your company, but due to fact that I got sick for the last whole week and was not able to work, I could not finish my tasks and will need another week to do so. If necessary, I can give you a copy of a letter from my doctor informing that I had to stay at home and under medical care during that week.

To clear the backlog created by my late start, I can work two additional hours every day until I catch up, either coming in early or leaving late. I feel responsible for the pressure my delayed start may have created on the company, and I am going to work harder until everything is back to normal.

I sincerely apologize for the inconvenience and hope this will not affect our relationship. If I am expected to present any other form of proof or talk to someone else in the company, please let me know.

Faithfully yours,
Leonardo

Share this to help your friends do better in IELTS!

My name is

Awards

• Top 25 IELTS Blogs Winner Award
  • Best Australian Blogs 2014 Competition - People's Choice Winner

Sponsors

Online course

Practice tests

Site Search

New Services

Latest Posts: