IELTS Report, topic: Two pie charts describing the proportions of visits to Ireland by age, gender and type of visit (from IELTS High Scorer’s Choice series, Academic Set 2)

This is a model response to a Writing Task 1 topic from High Scorer’s Choice IELTS Practice Tests book series (reprinted with permission). This answer is close to IELTS Band 9.

Set 2 Academic book, Practice Test 9

Writing Task 1

You should spend about 20 minutes on this task.

The pie charts below show the proportions of visits to Ireland last year by age group, and by gender and type of visit.

Summarise the information by selecting and reporting the main features, and make comparisons where relevant.

You should write at least 150 words.

Two pie charts describing the proportions of visits to Ireland by age, gender and type of visit (from IELTS High Scorer's Choice series, Academic Set 2 book)

Sample Band 9 Report

Both pie charts focus on the proportions of visits to Ireland last year. However, while one provides data on the proportion of the different age groups of people who visited Ireland last year, the second pie chart provides data on the gender of the visitors and their reasons for visiting.

It can be clearly seen that the 25-34 year old and 45-54 year old cohorts comprised the largest proportion of visitors and that most people came to Ireland for leisure, not business.

The first pie chart shows that three age groups made up most of last year’s visitors to Ireland. These were 25 to 34 year-olds (23%), 35 to 44 year-olds (19%), and 45 to 54 year-olds (23%). Four other age groups made up the rest, ranging from 6% to 11% of visitors.

The second pie chart shows that Ireland received last year more male visitors than female visitors (56% to 44%). Business trips to Ireland did not make up a very significant amount of trips, 17% in total; however, the amount of business visits conducted by males was much higher, 13%, compared to 4% female business visits.

Go here for more IELTS Band 9 Reports