The questions below were shared by S. who took the IELTS test in Saudi Arabia.
Here are some high-scoring model answers for Speaking Test Part 1, to give you an idea how to respond to those questions. You can find Part 2 (cue card) and Part 3 answers on the VIP Club website.
Part 1 (Interview)
1. Do you live in a house or an apartment?
I currently live in a cosy one-bedroom apartment in a high-rise building on the waterfront. It has an open-plan kitchen and a small living room. It’s a bit cramped, but we have managed to make good use of the small amount of space we have. As a matter of fact, my neighbourhood is quite pricey, so I consider myself lucky to have found some reasonably priced accommodation, even if space is tight.
2. Do you have a favourite room?
Well, technically it’s not really a room, but I have always loved spending time on our little enclosed patio. I am not one for fancy decorations, you could say that I am more of a minimalist by nature. So, this space can only fit a small table and chairs, and I also use it to grow a few herbs and some flowering plants.
3. Why is this room your favourite?
In the afternoons, the sun hits the balcony at just the right angle and it becomes the perfect place to unwind with a good book and a cup of tea. I have a few planters there, which makes this room special because it’s the closest I can get to nature in the city. I love the vibrant colours and calming scents of the flowers in spring. I guess it’s because it reminds me a lot of the garden in my childhood home.
4. Have you ever visited old buildings or monuments?
Yes, quite a few times. As a child, my family and I would often travel to different parts of the country to take a look at historical buildings or ancient ruins. More recently, we visited an ancient Buddhist monastery which is also a world heritage site, and it was quite enlightening.
5. Would you like to visit any old buildings/monuments in the future?
Yes, of course. I will continue our family tradition in the future, and it’s always been one of my dreams to visit the Great Pyramids of Giza. I am fascinated by ancient Egyptian history. As a kid, I would devour any book on the topic that I could get my hands on, and I always imagined what it would be like to see those majestic structures in real life.
Part 2 (Cue Card)
Talk about a famous person from your country. You should say
– who the person is
– what he/she does
– what the person is famous for
– and explain how you feel about this person.
Read a model answer on the VIP Club website
Part 3 (Discussion)
– Do famous people have an influence on public opinion?
– How do influencers affect public opinion?
– What is the difference between influence and power?
– Do you feel it is important to be popular among colleagues at work?
– Do you think popularity at work is a good thing?
– Are promotions based on influence or skills?
Read model answers on the VIP Club website