IELTS Band 9 essay, topic: Should teachers be required to conform to a dress code?

This is a model response to a Writing Task 2 topic from High Scorer’s Choice IELTS Practice Tests book series (reprinted with permission). This answer is likely to score IELTS Band 9.

Set 1 General Training book, Practice Test 3

Writing Task 2

You should spend about 40 minutes on this task.

Write about the following topic:

Many people believe in the idea of school children wearing a school uniform, but should teachers as well be required to conform to a dress code?

Give reasons for your answer and include any relevant examples from your knowledge or experience.

You should write at least 250 words.

Answer

The wearing of school uniforms is an issue that is both supported and opposed by many people. Numerous schools around the world require students to wear school uniforms on their grounds, however, teachers are not often required to wear a specific uniform while working. It has therefore been suggested that it should be compulsory for teachers to wear a specific uniform or follow a specific dress code on a daily basis.

One reason for introducing a dress code for teachers would be that teachers typically function as role models. For students who are not willing to conform to the dress code of their school, it would be beneficial to see figures of authority wearing the same outfit as each other, and they would then potentially be more willing to follow their own dress code.

Another reason for introducing a compulsory dress code for teachers would be that if all teachers wore the same outfit, there would be no visible difference amongst them. Naturally some teachers are wealthier than others and would tend to show this through their clothing. This could cause other teachers to feel inferior and therefore could result in lower quality work and decreased motivation. Furthermore, students would feel treated more fairly, if not only they, but teachers as well had to wear a certain uniform in school.

Lastly, uniforms for teachers would enable students and other teachers to easily distinguish between school staff and other adults. In many schools there is no high quality security system and strangers can easily enter and steal something or commit other crimes. If teachers wore uniforms, one would then be able to approach and confront strangers more easily, as one could distinguish teachers wearing uniforms clearly from other adults.

In conclusion, there are many positive effects of introducing uniforms for teachers and therefore, in my opinion, they should be installed in as many schools as possible.

Go here for more IELTS Band 9 Essays

1 thought on “IELTS Band 9 essay, topic: Should teachers be required to conform to a dress code?”

1. Thanks for sharing nice information. I like your post and all you share with us is uptodate and quite informative, i would like to bookmark the page so i can come here again to read you, as you have done a wonderful job.