Erica, a lovely lady from Nigeria, has won in our IELTS Results competition in May, and no wonder – her Overall Band Score is 8.5 with a perfect 9 in Listening. When we asked Erica how she did it, and what she would recommend that other test takers do to prepare well for IELTS, here is what she said:
BEFORE THE TEST
– I made enquiries to find out when I can take the exam, how many modules there will be, and how each module affects the overall score.
– I started my preparation as soon as I decided to take the test.
– I purchased the official IELTS practice materials, read all the tips and studied the booklet. I also attempted all the practice questions for the four modules and watched the DVD.
– I attempted all the sample questions on the official IELTS website and in search of more practice materials I discovered www.IELTS-Blog.com .
– I visited IELTS-Blog regularly and attempted a lot of sample questions. More importantly I read through all the exam preparation tips on the website and those posted by candidates who took the test.
DURING THE TEST
– Read all instructions carefully especially during the listening test.
– Remember to allocate your time proportionally, especially during the writing test.
– Work through the easiest part first during the reading test as lingering on the more challenging questions may rob you of valuable time.
– When answering speaking questions, try to relax and be as honest as possible as this would ensure a free flow of conversation. Remember, the test is mostly about your English ability and not about who or what you are. Do not feel intimidated in any way, the examiners are professionals and I believe are well trained.
AFTER THE TEST
Do not worry if you found the test challenging, because most people probably did as well.
Good luck everyone!
My results in IELTS is on 23/11.