Subscribe hereRSS of IELTS-Blog.com via RSS or via email Help

IELTS-Blog

Your best IELTS study partner

IELTS Report, topic: a pie chart of leisure activities

Hey, you're new here! I love new people, welcome.

You may want to subscribe to IELTS-Blog and get all the updates via email or via RSS feed. Thanks for visiting!

You are advised to spend a maximum of 20 minutes on this task.

The following pie charts show the results of a survey into the most popular leisure activities in the United States of America in 1999 and 2009.
Summarise the information by selecting and reporting the main features, and make comparisons where relevant.

You should write at least 150 words.

Leisure activities pie-chart
Leisure activities pie-chart

The graphs reveal information about the most common leisure activities which the American engaged in between 1999 and 2009. Overall, the largest percentage of people living in the US enjoyed walking.

As can be seen clearly, the figures for soccer, camping and walking increased slightly by 1%-2% to 18%, 9% and 31% respectively during the ten-year period. On the other hand, there was a nearly doubling in the proportions of people joining in yoga (5 to 10 % ) and swimming ( 9 to 18% ) __ over the same period.

By contrast, the period shown witnessed a significant decrease in the percentages of American people participating in the remaining activities. To be more specific, the figure for jogging nearly halved from 7% to 3%. What is more, there was a dramatic fall in the proportion of aerobics players from 13% to 4% from 1999 to 2009 . Finally, when it comes to bicycling, the figure for this activity dropped from 14% to 7%.

The candidate has interpreted the pie charts fairly well. This report is easy to read. The main features are compared and contrasted well with relevant figures. There are some minor inaccuracies, but they do not interfere with the reading of the report. Overall, the task response is good. Suggested improvements: pay a little more attention to the grammatical range and accuracy. Overall, this report seems worthy of Band 7

Click here to see more IELTS reports of band 7