IELTS Letter, topic: Inviting an old friend to your new house

This is a model response to a Writing Task 1 topic from High Scorer’s Choice IELTS Practice Tests book series (reprinted with permission). This answer is close to IELTS Band 9.

Set 3 General Training book, Practice Test 11

Writing Task 1

You should spend about 20 minutes on this task.

You recently moved to a new house and you want to invite an old friend to stay
with you. Write a letter to your friend.

In your letter,

– invite him to stay and suggest a date
– briefly describe the new house and garden
– say why you like your new house

You should write at least 150 words.

You do NOT need to write any addresses. Begin your letter as follows:

Dear Jimmy,

Sample Band 9 Letter

Dear Jimmy,

Guess what! I have finally moved into my new house! The furniture is already arranged and the boxes that you saw at my old apartment last time containing all the decorations have disappeared.

I would love you to come over for a few weeks to stay. I would appreciate your company and we can finish off any last adjustments together. I know that you are creative and so maybe you have some tips for me on how to decorate the living room. Besides a huge bookshelf, a TV and a sofa, I am unsure about what else to put in there. What do you think about next Friday? You can come anytime, but this would be most convenient for me.

I am sure that you will like my new house, just as I do. The garden has exquisite flowers and herbs from its previous owners and the large stove in the kitchen gives you a feeling of nostalgia. In addition to this, the staircase creaks in a funny way, which reminds me of the old house where I lived in as a child.

I am looking forward to your answer and I hope that you can come as soon as possible!

Hugs,

Leah

Go here for more IELTS Band 9 Letters