IELTS essay, topic: Some think that children should leave their family home as soon as possible while others believe they should stay for as long as they like (discuss)

Some people think that it is best to encourage children to leave their family home as soon as possible. Others believe children should stay at the family home for as long as they like. Discuss both views and give your own opinion.

Sample Essay

Although it is thought by some that urging young people to abandon their family home at an early age is beneficial for them, others believe that it is better if children stay with their families for longer. In my opinion, leaving family home early has many advantages for children.

On the one people think that youngsters ought to leave their parents’ house so as to learn life skills at an early age. Their reasoning is that it should push young people towards independence and make them learn from life lessons rather than merely rely on their parents. For example, students who pursue tertiary study away from their home city might learn taking personal responsibility. Also, living independently will teach children a lot by presenting some difficulties, which, consequently, will add some more experience that may prove essential in their future lives.

On the other hand, it is argued that children should stay with their parents for longer for several reasons. Firstly, young people need advice from adults, and no one would be better suited to that than their parents. Secondly, life can be generally harsh, for children in particular. In other words, they might or take unnecessary risks if they mix with the wrong crowd. It is commonly known that young people tend to be by unethical people. To avoid that, being under parental supervision is utterly important for children.

To sum up, while people’s opinions may vary, I believe that young people should leave their family home at an early age, while parents ought to provide them with appropriate advice and keep an eye on their well-being.

This essay covers the task by discussing the advantages and disadvantages of leaving the family home early in life, and the writer’s opinion has been clearly stated. The arguments for and against have been organised in paragraphs and supported by examples. Accuracy of expression needs some work (see suggested corrections underlined in blue) and in one case sentence structure needs more attention. Overall, assuming the errors were corrected, this essay could score Band 8 in IELTS.

Click here to see more IELTS essays of Band 8

the words ‘I consider that’ are redundant because the sentence starts with ‘In my opinion’
this should read ‘On the one hand, some…’ – the full stop should be replaced with a comma and ‘some’ should continue the sentence, instead of starting a new one
the words ‘tend to’ are unnecessary and should be removed
‘get in trouble’ is a better way to say this
the correct way to say this is ‘easily influenced’

4 thoughts on “IELTS essay, topic: Some think that children should leave their family home as soon as possible while others believe they should stay for as long as they like (discuss)”

1. Family is the non formal educational institution for the children and they are passing their life with joys, learning by doing many things in favorable environment. Some people believe that it is good idea to motivate child to live independently by leaving their family as early as possible. However, other peoples think that children should be lived with their parents and others family member for a long time. This essay discusses about both ideas and at the end of passage I will give my own thought.

On the one hand, children’s are the future leader of our globe and they should learn lots of things which will help to motivate the positive change in the society as well as for country. It is important for youngsters to explore new thinking in science and technology, to visit new country, to meet with multiculture and friends. So, children should live independently to learn new culture and explore their horizon to acquire life skills. Moreover, to live independently without family supports helps them to understand the outer environment and difficulties which will help them to live own arrangements in future. For instance, youngsters who have left their family in early ages have more sociable, strong and life skills than the child live in family for long time.

On the other hand, children’s are helpless in outer environment without the help of family and friends. It is important to stay at home with the touch of family member help them to more confident, more carrying about family and to understand the actual family situations and bonding. Furthermore, if they leave their family as early it will negatively impact their behavior and create stress in their life. In addition, youngsters may be involved with crime and drugs without guardianship. For example, many research showed that most of child offense occurred in the society by youngsters who have separated with family members or lived independently in hostels or city centers. Additionally, family is the first educational institution to learn basic life skills from their family members.

Finally, the both ideas have some logic but in my opinion it is good way that at a certain age of time children should stay with their family bonding. If you send them outer environment it will negatively impact their mindsets. Definitely, to live independently help them to build their own career but it should be at certain ages when they can understand about different culture of the society.

To sum up, children’s are the future leader of a nation and they should be learnt their first informal and formal education, language and others skills from family. So, it is good ideas to stay at home with the touch of parents for certain ages and leave the family when they should go another cities or countries for educational or job purposes. Last but not least, children should always touch with family and friends.