IELTS essay, topic: Nowadays people waste a lot of food, why is this happening and how to reduce waste?

Nowadays people waste a lot of food that was bought from shops and restaurants. Why do you think people waste food? What can be done to reduce the amount of food they throw away?

At the time when famines heavily strike impoverished third world countries, many people living in wealthy countries waste tremendous amounts of food daily. In my opinion, understanding the probable reasons of this phenomenon is important and may lead us to some applicable solutions that will result in reducing food waste.

The low cost of food seems to be one of the obvious reasons, exacerbating the problem. Due to the revolutionary technological achievements, people have increased both the quality and the quantity of their crops. In turn, according to the laws of supply and demand, the prices of the crops have immensely dropped. A recent study of the FAO stated that the global crops prices have dropped 50 per cent over the last decade. This enabled people to buy excessive amounts of food without a real need.

Furthermore, the absence of strict regulations to discourage or punish this attitude can also be considered a major cause. Not everyone is aware that wasting food may create problems. Consequently, they are likely to resist any calls for controlling the consumption of dietary supplies unless they are forced by the power of law. Several countries in the world saw a drop in their national food waste after implementing a ban on the excessive purchasing of food.

Fortunately, there are some possible approaches that can be adopted by both people and governments. Firstly, raising the awareness of this issue is immensely important. Using social media platforms can draw public attention to the potential dangers of food waste and how communities can confront it. Secondly, enforcing laws that prohibit the wasting of food by people and companies will deter such harmful practice.

In conclusion, the decreased price of food as well as lack of regulations allowed the unfortunate trend of throwing away food to continue. I believe that creating awareness and legislation are parts of a straightforward solution to this issue.

The writer explored the reasons for throwing away food and suggested some solutions, effortlessly conveying his/her ideas in this well-written IELTS essay. The information is presented in an orderly, logical and coherent way. A wide range of vocabulary is used in this written response. The sentence structures are varied and the vocabulary is impressive. Overall, this essay could achieve IELTS Band 8.

Click here to see more IELTS essays of Band 8

2 thoughts on “IELTS essay, topic: Nowadays people waste a lot of food, why is this happening and how to reduce waste?”

1. Hi, please provide a band for below essay or provide some feedback:

Visiting restaurants and ordering food online have become quite prevalent these days. This trend, however, has resulted in significant wastage of food. This essay will explore the possible reasons and provide solutions to combat this problem.

There is a plethora of reasons for significant amounts of food wastage. The primary cause is the availability of food items from food joints, at lowered prices. In other words, customers order more food that they can consume, simply because it is available at cheaper rates. Consequently, they end up disposing of excessive, leftover food. Secondly, with the availability of online food delivery websites and applications, like Swiggy and Zomato, people order food items without being mindful of their needs. As a result, more food is available, simply to be thrown away the next day.

To counter the issue of restaurant food wastage, a multitude of steps can be taken. Various online initiatives are available; whereby, people can ask volunteers from organizations that take away leftover food, at no cost to the consumer, and provide it to the needy people. This strategy has proven to be immensely effective in reducing food wastage in the past few years. Furthermore, customers should be mindful and attentive while ordering food. In other words, ordering food should be based on the appetite of a person, and not merely on food prices. For instance, if food delivery applications or physical restaurants, have awareness sections that ask a person to order mindfully, it will serve as a reminder to the person, to only order food that they are likely to fully consume. Optimal application of these measures can subsequently alleviate food wastage problem.

To conclude, low food prices and ordering food online or otherwise, in a non-attentive manner are the two main causes of food wastage. Few steps can be taken to curb this issue, including effective usage of websites to allow people to take away leftover food items, and websites can be customized to prompt a person to only order as much as they really need.