I was fortunate to have met a very special person, a former IELTS examiner. He sent me an email and it was filled with GREAT tips, real insider information and, of course, I wasn’t going to keep all of that to myself .
IELTS Writing tips
It is better to write in regular, not very sophisticated English, than to use phrases or structures you don’t fully understand.
If you need Band 6 – no need for complex sentence structure. If your goal is Band 7 – then show advanced sentence structure, language and vocabulary.
Don’t write more than 260-265 words in IELTS Writing 2 task. Why? Not because you will get a lower mark, but because of these 2 reasons:
1) It takes more time
2) More words = more mistakes
If you are told to cover specific points in your essay/letter – cover every point, examiners do actually count them.
Don’t overuse connecting words (like However, Furthermore, Moreover, etc) – examiners are watching for you to do that.
IELTS Speaking – interview tips
Speak until they stop you, don’t just answer the question and stop. Display you best English. Behave as if it was a driving test – keep going straight until told to turn right, left or park.
It is quite possible that you have to speak about something you have never heard of, or have no opinion of. If you don’t know the subject – tell the examiner immediately, so he could ask you another question. If you don’t tell him and start trying to speak, he might think that it is not a knowledge problem, but a language problem.
- What helped Felix and Sandra achieve success in IELTS The 1st place winners of our IELTS Results competition, Felix...
- Daphne from Singapore shares simple but practical tips for Band 8 Daphne is a 26 year old lady from Singapore who...
- Tips for IELTS Band 8 from Akshay Deep (competition winner) Akshay Deep is one of the best scorers in...
- IELTS preparation tips from Sridhar, Band 8.0 achiever Sridhar is an IELTS test taker from Bangalore, India, who...
- How Ratnesh went from IELTS Band 7 to 8 in Writing Ratnesh is a young man from India whose success in...