I’ve neglected the Speaking tips for a long time, so this post is about how to do well in the IELTS Speaking test. It doesn’t matter what module of IELTS you are taking, General or Academic – the Speaking part is the same in both.
As you know, there are 3 parts in the Speaking sub-test: the Interview, Speech (cue card) and Discussion, read the details about it here in one of my previous posts.
Now to the Interview: you can and should be prepared to questions they will ask you.
The questions are predictable, look at this great list I found in one of IELTS forums – click here.
If you speak well, just go over it and prepare an answer in your head for every question. If you have someone to practice with – do it, if you don’t – I suggest that you record yourself. You can do that using your PC or a voice recorder or even one of those MP3 players that can record voice as well.
Best advice to those who speak not so well:
1) Write your answers on a piece of paper.
2) Memorize them.
3) Speak to yourself – ask questions and answer according to whatever you wrote. It will improve your pronunciation and make you more confident. This is how you overcome the initial shock of speaking English.
4) Practice a lot with your wife/husband/boyfriend/girlfriend, at first you may look at your paper, but after a while stop doing that – test your memory.
I prepared my students this way and it helped them a lot.
One more important thing – in Speaking you can also receive half-bands, such as 5.5 or 6.5.
I will continue and prepare more Reading tips for you in my next post.
- He prepared for a week and got Band 8 – here’s how Today I am happy to share with you some advice...
- Practical IELTS tips from Angie, Band 8.5 Many non-native English speakers think they would easily get Band...
- Student success: how Alicia got IELTS Band 7 after just one day of preparation Alicia is a young lady whose first language is Indonesian...
- Exam preparation tips from Roopa (IELTS veteran) A winner of IELTS results competition, Roopa Siju Haridas from...
- Pradip shares how he got Band 7.5 in IELTS Today I am happy to share with you the tips...