Our friend P. took the IELTS test in Malaysia and remembered the following questions from the Writing and Speaking tests:
Writing task 1 (a letter)
You received an invitation from a friend to go out for a day and accepted, but you were unable to go as promised. Write an apology letter to your friend and say
– Why couldn’t you make it?
– How did you try to reach him/her?
– Suggest how you will make up for it another time.
Writing Task 2 (an essay)
Many people think that money is the best gift to give a teenager, but others disagree. Discuss both views and give your own opinion including relevant examples.
– What is your full name?
– Can I see your ID?
– Where are you from?
– Do you work or study?
– What do you do?
– Describe the house where you live.
– What are the main features of your house?
– How long have you been living in this place?
– What room is your favourite?
– Do you like perfume?
– Do you use perfume often? Why?
– Did you give someone perfume as a gift?
– Would you like to spend more on perfume? Why?
Talk about someone who encouraged you or has been an example for you in the past. You should say
– Who was it?
– What did you do thanks to him/her?
– What was the result of it?
– Were you happy with the result?
– Can children be motivated or encouraged?
– How can it be done?
– Do you think money is the only means of encouragement? Why?
– Is competition a negative or a positive thing in life? Why?
– How can an employer motivate workers for better results at work?
– Do you think people are always happy when someone else is doing what they are doing?