You are not happy with the course you are doing at college and would like to change to a different course. Write a letter to the college director requesting to change your course. You should include details about:
- what course are you doing now
- why you are not satisfied with that course
- what course would you like to change to
Dear Mr. Hodgkins,
I am currently enrolled in an Italian cooking class at St. James and am writing regarding some difficulties I have had doing this subject for the past two weeks. I would like to know if it is possible to change my course.
I believe that the last day allowed for students to make any changes was Wednesday 5th June but, in my situation, the circumstance is uncompromising. The fact is that, during the enrolment session, no one mentioned that I needed to be literate in Italian, which I’m not. Therefore, you will comprehend that for me, getting an understanding of what the teacher is saying is beyond comprehensible.
Thus, I am requesting that my current enrollment be transferred from the Italian course to the French cooking class. As unlike in Italian, I am fluent in French.
I apologise for any inconvenience this may cause to you and the staff and look forward to hearing from you.
The student’s response covers the task question very well, the sentences have good structure, the level of formality is adequate and the vocabulary is suitable for the purpose. Some expressions would sound better in different wording (see suggestions underlined in blue). Overall, this letter is a very good one, and seems worthy of Band 8.5.
Click here to see more IELTS letters of band 8
- IELTS essay, topic: Schools should select students by their academic abilities, agree or disagree? Some people think that schools should select students according to...
- IELTS Speaking test in India – June 2013 These Speaking questions were shared by R who took the...
- IELTS essay, topic: Children these days are suffering from obesity, why and how can it be solved? Modern children are suffering from the diseases that were once...
- IELTS essay, topic: Why do criminals commit another offence after being punished? Many offenders commit more crimes after serving the first punishment....
- IELTS essay, topic: Children should be engaged in paid work, agree or disagree? In many countries children are engaged in different kinds of...