IELTS Letter, topic: An explanation for the boss

You successfully passed a job interview. You are expected to start on November 15, but you will not be available on that date. Task: Write a letter to your new boss, explaining your situation, expressing your concern and suggesting a solution.

Dear Sir/Madam,

Leonardo Gomes and I have recently passed a job interview for the Software Engineer position at the Software Infrastructure group. I was expected to start on November 15, as agreed, and am writing because, unfortunately, I will not be able to present myself on that date.

During the interview I estimated fifteen days as the amount of time needed for me to finish my activities at my current job and start at your company, but due to fact that I got sick for the last whole week and was not able to work, I could not finish my tasks and will need another week to do so. If necessary, I can give you a copy of a letter from my doctor informing that I had to stay at home and under medical care during that week.

To clear the backlog created by my late start, I can work two additional hours every day until I catch up, either coming in early or leaving late. I feel responsible for the pressure my delayed start may have created on the company, and I am going to work harder until everything is back to normal.

I sincerely apologize for the inconvenience and hope this will not affect our relationship. If I am expected to present any other form of proof or talk to someone else in the company, please let me know.

Faithfully yours,
Leonardo

My name is

20 thoughts on “IELTS Letter, topic: An explanation for the boss”

1. I already registered in your site to get IELTS classes but

till I haven\\\’t get any mail from your Side.

2. Dear Sir,

I terrific to you for giving me an opportunity in your organisation as an account. I am supposed to join on November 15. However, I regret to inform to you that I am not able to join my duty as on pre-agreed dates. I sincerely apologised for this inconvenience.

Please give me a chance to elaborate, why I am not able to join your company as per previously planned dates. unfortunately, last week I was planning football with my old friends. While playing football I was severely injured my ankle. I was rushed to the hospital immediately and the doctor checked my ankle. He plasters my ankle because ankle bone was broken. The doctor advised me to take a few days rest. Since my condition is critical. I feel pain in my leg also and I am not able to walk properly. So, it is practically impossible for me to join my work on the stipulated date.

I trust you can understand my dire condition. If possible, I would like to postpone my joining date two weeks later and I will start my job from 1 December. I hope you will allow me to join two weeks later than previously planned dates.

I am looking forward to a positive response from you.

Thanking You,

Baljit

3. Mam i have a little bit confusion in situation type essay . do we have to write resons in 1 st paragraph and solutions in 2 nd paragraph ? Or solutions in conclusion but mam conclusion is having very short word limit .

4. Hi Anjanabhatti, it’s fine if you want to write about your suggestions/solutions in a body paragraph, in that case your first body paragraph can be about the reasons for the situation and your second body paragraph can be about the solutions/suggestions what can be done. In that case your conclusion would briefly summarise what was said before.

5. It is too good website… ๐Ÿ˜Š๐Ÿ˜Š tomorrow is my LRW exam and now I m going through the all letters that u have posted on this site. I hope this would be definitely useful for my exam.

6. Hi,
    I am confused about the purpose of the letter.
    As per my understanding, if I am asking permission to join in the new post on a different date, will be correct?

7. Thank you for your response.

But, I have planned to write the purpose of the letter as- to start on a different date.
    In the third body paragraph, I will say what I would be the solution.

For recent questions, which book is the best to buy from your practice books?

8. Wonderful website๐Ÿ‘
    Mam i have little confusion in essay of adv and disadvantage and opinion….
    Either i have to give opinion in introduction part or in the end of conclusion part..please tell

9. As i did study your sampel letter, felt to join you and would like to get update notification to reach high score band in ielts . I am looking forward to postive response to you .
    Thanks
    Regards raj

10. Dear Sir or Madam,

I am extremely delighted to hear that I have been chosen for the role of operation executive at your company. Although, I am afraid I could not be able to start my job on November 15th as agreed up on the interview because of some unexpected delay in the releasing formalities from my previous employer.

Let me explain what has happened. There has been a typographic error in my experience letter. So, I had to submit another application for correcting the same. As you aware, the estimated time taken to resolve these sorts of rare issues are a maximum of one week. Therefore, I request you to postpone my joining date to a week later, probably November 21st so that I could finish all the pending procedures in my former firm and start working for your enterprise.
    I am apologizing for the inconveniences caused by this glitch which was not in my scope to resolve. But I am very much like to minimize the impacts I caused by completing my induction program online before enrolling so that I could start working right after joining. Also, I am open to suggestions from your end as well to sort out this issue with minimum effect.

Looking forward to hear from you.

Yours faithfully,
    Devika Vadakkumpatt