IELTS Letter, topic: Complaining to neighbours about their noisy dog

Your neighbours have a dog that is noisy at night. You can’t sleep. Write a letter to your neighbours. In your letter:
– describe the problem with the dog
– explain why it is important for you to sleep
– outline what your neighbours could do about the situation.

Dear ,

I am writing to you to bring to your attention a problem that have been having with your dog at night.

As you may already be aware of, your dog started making small detours at night around the neighborhood, digging holes in the gardens and often making loud noises. I was awoken by your dog’s barks several times lately, and I had even a doctor and had been prescribed some sleeping pills.

This wouldn’t have been as big of a problem for me if I wasn’t in the middle of my exams, but since I am, it is crucial for me to good rest and sleep during the right hours; I have morning exams to wake up to.

I therefore be grateful if you could have your dog looked after by another member of your family away from this neighborhood, even if only until my exams are over, which will be in about three weeks time.

Thank you for taking time to read this letter, I hope .

Yours sincerely,
Jeongsup Byun

This is a good letter on all accounts, except perhaps some inaccurate word choice and verb forms (bring the mouse over the words in blue to see suggested corrections). Such letter could be awarded Band 8 in a real IELTS exam.

Click here to see more IELTS letters of band 8

Mr and Mrs Brown
I (use the capital letter)
consulted
get
would
you will address this issue soon

1 thought on “IELTS Letter, topic: Complaining to neighbours about their noisy dog”

1. Pingback: IELTS Sample Letters of Band 8 | IELTS-Blog