Subscribe hereRSS of IELTS-Blog.com via RSS or via email Help

IELTS-Blog

Your best IELTS study partner

IELTS Letter, topic: Complaint about a rental car

You rented a car from a Car Rental Company. The air conditioner has stopped working. You phoned the company a week ago but it still has not been repaired.

Write a letter to the company. In your letter
– introduce yourself
– explain the situation
– say what action you would like to company to take.

Dear Sir/Madam,

I am writing to complain about the air conditioner in my car, which I from your company for two weeks. Unfortunately, it has stopped working.

I rented 8 days ago. number is 1230. Actually, I was on my way from Jacksonville to Miami, although the atmosphere temperature was cooler, suddenly a sound came from the engine. At first, I thought that the engine belt broken and I not be able to drive the car . However, when I felt no air coming from the air conditioner, I realized it stopped working.

Naturally, when I got back home I immediately contacted your customer care center and registered my complaint. They issued me a complaint number 234343 and said that they will send a technician my house within business days to get it repaired. Almost one week has passed since I called, but still it is not being repaired.

I am not at all satisfied with your customer service. In case you can’t resolve my problem within 2 business days after the receipt of this letter, I want a complete refund of the car rental payment which I made in advance, $200.

Yours faithfully,
Hasnain Siraj

This is a good letter. It has the right structure, covers the task, the paragraphs are connected together by linking words and the sentences are well-structured. The grammar needs some attention, especially the prepositions and the way you use tenses (see comments underlined in blue). Overall, this looks like a Band 6.5 – 7 letter.

Click here to see more IELTS letters of band 7

rented
a Mercedes Benz
join this and the previous sentences together
what happened is when
was
might
any further
had
to
two to three (use words, not figures)
a total amount of