You successfully passed a job interview. You are expected to start on November 15, but you will not be available on that date.
Task: Write a letter to your new boss, explaining your situation, expressing your concern and suggesting solutions.
I am writing to inform you that I won’t be able to start work on November 15, as agreed during my recent interview with you.
The reason that I can’t start my work was because my mother has fell down the stairs yesterday. As, I am the only daughter and there are no other relatives that are able to look after my mother, I have no choise but to go back to look after her. According to the doctors it will take about two weeks for her to be able to walk and take care of herself again.
I apologize for all the inconvenience and I truly belived that you need me to be at work on that day for the project that is scheduled to be completed three weeks later. I am able to work for home and completed the project as mention. I will also report to you through e-mail and if there is a problem, I will call and inform you along the way.
Once again, I’m very sorry for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.
This is a good letter. It covers the task, has a good structure, the paragraphs are coherent. There are several grammatical errors (see comments underlined in blue) and a poorly structured sentence that needs improvement (it starts with “I apologize for all the inconvenience”). Overall, this looks like a band 6.5 letter – some improvement to grammar could take it to Band 7.
Click here to see more IELTS letters of band 7
- IELTS Letter, topic: Get well wishes for a team-mate You play sport (e.g. football) for a local team. You...
- IELTS Letter, topic: Your friend is coming over to stay with you Your friend is coming over to stay with you. However,...
- IELTS Letter, topic: Leaving your current employment You have decided to leave your current employment. Write a...
- IELTS essay, topic: The advantages and disadvantages of studying in another country Every year an increasing number of students choose to go...
- IELTS Report, topic: Line graph describing the consumption of fish and meat You should spend about 20 minutes on this task. The...