Since many of you were writing to us, asking to publish answers to the recent IELTS exams that we share, here is the first post of a new series, “Writing Model Answers”. When our visitors talk – we listen, pay attention, and do what we can to help. So, in the spirit of improving things, we have asked Ryan Higgins, an online IELTS instructor, to provide the model answers – and he agreed.
From now on, every week we will be posting a sample answer written on a topic that appeared in a recent exam. Below is the first installment – a letter on a topic that was seen in a General Training exam in Pune, India.
General Training Writing Task 1
You should spend about 20 minutes on this task.
Write a letter to a teacher asking for a reference letter for a job and explain:
– Why you have chosen him to write the reference letter
– What kind of job you are applying for
– Why you think you are suitable for this job
You should write at least 150 words.
Dear Mr. Moloisa,
As you are aware, this month marks my foray into the working world, having graduated my studies with you at Watson’s Photographer College. I am writing to you to request your aid in my transition from student to employed professional.
As your top scholar last year, I am sure you will be happy to hear my chosen career path is photography. Thanks to your grueling courses, I feel I am completely prepared to take on a professional challenge and am excited to tell you I have been offered to attend the initial employment screening at National Geographic Magazine. As part of this process, I am required to submit a reference letter written by a third party of notable acclaim among the global photography community. Of course, I was hoping I could ask you to be this person.
I would be very grateful for any kind words you could compose on my behalf to help make this opportunity at National Geographic Magazine possible for me.
Thanking you in advance,
This model answer was written by Ryan Higgins, an online IELTS instructor, blogger and author. For more of his free IELTS resources, visit his blog.
- IELTS test in Hong Kong – February 2017 (General Training) Our kind friend B took the IELTS test in Hong...
- IELTS tips from two successful test takers from Sri Lanka Today we are delighted to share the IELTS success stories...
- Katherine’s IELTS Writing score jumped from Band 7 to 8.5 in two weeks – here’s how. Katherine M. is a lovely lady from Europe who needed...