The topic below was seen in a General Training IELTS exam in the USA, September 2011.
General Training Writing Task 1
You should spend about 20 minutes on this task.
You are preparing an event in the countryside. Write a letter to your friend and ask for help with the arrangements. In your letter include:
- what the event is
- why the event is being held
- what arrangements have already been made
- how your friend can help
You should write at least 150 words.
I hope you and your wife have been enjoying you summer holiday. My wife and I have started pulling together plans for this year’s company barbecue. I am writing to share some details regarding the event and ask whether you would be able to help with a few of the remaining tasks.
As you know, the barbecue has become a highly anticipated annual tradition for everyone at our company. This year, the meet up is going to be held in Paxton Park, behind the church on Gladsdale Avenue and Riverside Street. My wife has reserved a rented canopy in case of rain and we are planning on getting the Texan restaurant Bubba’s to cater food and drinks. However, we feel a little strapped for time considering we still have a handful of errands to finish before the big day.
Thus, I was hoping you could find time to complete and distribute the invitations. I think any basic invitation template on your computer should suit. I can email you the guest list this evening. Please let me know as soon as you can whether this would be possible or not.
- IELTS Letter, topic: Booking a hotel room You and your family are planning to spend a weekend...
- IELTS Letter, topic: An explanation for a relative A family member is coming to stay with you. He/she...
- IELTS Letter, topic: Leaving your current employment You have decided to leave your current employment. Write a...
- IELTS Letter, topic: Telling a friend about a new job Write a letter to an English-speaking friend. In your letter...
- IELTS Letter, topic: Get well wishes for a team-mate You play sport (e.g. football) for a local team. You...