The topic below was seen in the General Training IELTS exam in San Fransisco, August 2011.
General Training Writing Task 1
You should spend about 20 minutes on this task.
Write a letter to your professor outlining why you are not satisfied with their course.
In your letter:
- write the reasons why you are not satisfied with the course
- request to change your course
- indicate what course you want to take instead
You should write at least 150 words.
I am one of your 101 Introduction to Economics students here at Homer University. I am writing to you to request that I be allowed to skip this entry course and study at the 201 Economic Theory level.
You see, last year I transferred to Homer from Klassen University. Unfortunately, despite having studied an economics course at Klassen (which covered all topics present in your course), I was not allowed to apply this credit to my studies here at Homer. Having now studied with you these past two weeks, it has become blatantly apparent that I am not going to be learning anything new at the 101 level.
Thus, I would be most grateful if you would consider looking at my case and high academic performance at Klassen. I am sure that following this you will feel confident in graduating me to the 201 level. Please kindly let me know if we can meet sometime next week to further discuss this matter.
Awaiting your reply,
- IELTS Letter, topic: Expressing dissatisfaction with a course at college You are not happy with the course you are doing...
- IELTS Letter, topic: A complaint about a purchase made online You have recently ordered an item through the Internet, but...
- IELTS Letter, topic: Telling a friend about a new job Write a letter to an English-speaking friend. In your letter...
- IELTS Letter, topic: Explaining to a friend how to look after your house You are going away to travel for the summer. A...
- IELTS Letter, topic: Get well wishes for a team-mate You play sport (e.g. football) for a local team. You...